THE INTERNATIONAL GATHERING 2017

The Fellowship Leader's Conference 2017

05.08.2017 - 10:00 o'clock

Countdown
expired
Name:
Password:
Access your Emails from anywhere in the world.
CONTACT US

Mrs Priscilla Penny (Zimbabwe):
› Chair (International Vice
President, Africa)

Marina Sylvester

(South Africa)

> Fellowship Treasure.

GB Ghana PDF Print E-mail
Ghana Home Uniform Programme Photo Gallery

 

The History of the Girl's Brigade - Ghana


The Girls’ Brigade came to Ghana in the year 1955 through the efforts of the late Mrs. Gladys Dagadu who was the National President of Ghana Girls’ Brigade.  The International Headquarters sent a Training Officer to Ghana in the person of Miss Shanks to assist in the extension work.

The first Ghanaian Company – preparations as well as training were held at the Old Methodist Mission House in James Town, Accra with the help of the 1st Accra Company of the Boys’ Brigade which was already in existence.

In 1955 the 1st Accra Company which was obviously the 1st Gold Coast Company was officially inaugurated at the Wesley Church, Zion Street, Accra by the late Rev. J.K. Clegg and the late J.E. Addo.  We had cadets aged between six and eight years, seniors aged between ten and fourteen and Pioneers aged above fifteen years.  Later, other companies spread into the Country notably the 1st Larteh Company, 1st Obuasi, 2nd Accra, 3rd Accra, 1st Sekondi, 1st Cape Coast and 1st Kumasi.  This pioneering work was undertaken through the hard work of the late Mrs. Koram and Miss Shanks, a Scottish Brigade officer who was then teaching at Akropong.

By 1957 the Girls’ Life Brigade as it was known had been recognized as a youth movement of considerable standing.  No doubt in the celebrations marking Ghana’s Independence in 1957 the Girls’ Life Brigade took part in this historic parade at the Accra Sports Stadium.

It became necessary after Independence, to establish a National Council to steer the affairs of the Brigade.  Members of the Council came from the Churches that had Brigade Companies and Youth and Women’s Fellowship.  The Presbyterian Church was represented by Miss Bachler, the Anglican Church by Miss Pearson, the Methodist by Rev. J.K. Clegg, the E.P. Church by Mrs. Vivian Hazel, the Methodist Women’s Work by Mrs. J.O. Noom, the Christian Council by the then General Secretary, Rev. T.A. Osei, and Miss Shanks, who was then the Secretary for the Council.

>> Read more ...